Wednesday 8 April 2015

Book Review: The Duff By Kody Keplinger 10/10



With the imminent release of The Duff movie adaptation I decided that before seeing the film I would read the book. I try and do this with every book adaptation I see. 

As far as I can tell, the movie doesn't follow the same story as the book which bothers me a little I must admit. It is my pet peeve with adaptations. I can deal with a few necessary changes but changing the whole story is rather annoying, especially when the book is as good as this one!

It's a teenage tale of a girl who is told by a boy in her class that she is the "Designated, Ugly, Fat, Friend" of her friendship group. She then starts a sexual affair with this boy to help her forget about the troubles in her life such as divorcing parents, ultimately she falls for this boy and he falls for her. It is a simple story but it is a fast paced read (took me a day) and it keeps you captivated from beginning to end. The whole book is just a light hearted love story and I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it, I was heartbroken when I finished it because I just wanted to keep reading! 

It is very well written, tackles some serious issues as well as simple teenage ones. From the trailers for the movie I think that the casting really matches well and I am really excited to see it! Although my local cinema doesn't see to be playing it! First World Problems. 

Read it before you see the film, it is a great easy reading book. I will be reading a few more by Kody Kiplinger for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment