Sunday 13 September 2015

Music Review: Selena Gomez - Same Old Love 9/10


"Same Old Love" is the second single from Selena's upcoming album, Revival. I am the hugest Selena Gomez fan and probably always will be because despite how critical people are of her, I feel like she can do no wrong. I honestly don't understand why she is so criticised in regards to her music, Revival will be her fifth studio album and I have loved almost every song from every album. 

She is often criticised for her vocals also and as someone who has seen her live, I can honestly say that she sounds great live. She's no Mariah Carey but she has a beautiful, unique tone that no other artist at the moment has and her vocals are improving with every album. 

All this being said, I don't feel that this offering is quite as good as the first single, Good For You. "Good For You" felt super unique and felt definitively Selena, it showcased a complete new direction for her as an artist while still feeling like her. It is important to pick out criticism along with the compliments in order to fully review a song and this offering does come with a few criticisms, first being that it doesn't completely sound like her. Both in vocals and in the feel of the song. 

Charli XCX provides backing vocals and she also contributed to the writing and development of the track. You can tell without even knowing this fact. Selena's vocals are beautiful but they have been heavily layered with Charli's backing vocals to the point that it sounds like it's Charli's song. With this fact and the fact that the whole sound of the song sounds like it could have being on a Charli XCX album is a real let down, I do really like Charli XCX so I do still love the song but I wanted a Selena song. Im not saying that it had to be typical Selena but I wanted to hear her vocal and her style not someone elses.

The piano and clapping instrumental back beat is inspired, it is truly unique and refreshing. My other criticism is that this great instrumental is ruined a little by the fact that it is literally repeated through the whole song and can feel a little repetitive. 

All this being said, "Same Old Love" is far from a let down. I think it is a great song and it really has got me even more excited for the album. I own every one of her albums and I've played them on repeat in my car for years so this album will undoubtably be no different.

The lyrics on the past two singles has been a lot deeper than her previous offerings also, which I'm really enjoying. It is nice to see Selena show us a little more of herself. So to finish i'll leave you with some lyrics to fall in love with...


Take away all your things and go
You can't take back what you said, I know
I've heard it all before, at least a million times
I'm not one to forget, you know

I don't believe, I don't believe it
You left in peace, left me in pieces
Too hard to breathe, I'm on my knees
Right now, 'ow

I'm so sick of that same old love, that shit, it tears me up
I’m so sick of that same old love, my body's had enough
I’m so sick of that same old love, feels like I've blown apart
I’m so sick of that same old love, the kind that breaks your heart


Pre-Order Revival Here
Listen to song Here

No comments:

Post a Comment