Tuesday 2 October 2018

How To Entertain A 6 Week Old Baby



Since becoming a mum all I do is worry and one of those main worries is am I keeping my baby happy, entertained and am I stimulating/ helping him learn. I don't want to just leave him in a bouncer and hope for the best, I want him to thrive and learn! 

These are the things I've been doing to keep my 6 week old Rory entertained!

The most used baby product for us so far has been this Mamas & Papas octopus play mat, we got it in the sale and have used it every single day since Rory was roughly a week old. 

We are luck that Rory is quite independent and has always enjoyed laying on it and playing by himself. The 8 legs crinkle so he loves to kick his little legs and listen to the crunch, he stares at the mirror that hangs from the centre and screams in joy. He even likes to nap on it! 


When he gets bored of being on his back on the play mat I just flip him over for some tummy time! The mat is lovely and soft so its perfect for this! Rory loves a bit of tummy time and usually likes to lay and suck his fingers, occasionally trying to push himself up and look around which is great for his developing muscles! 


Something we have been doing more and more this past few weeks is using a carrier, Rory doesn't love his pram unless he's asleep and I don't love being restricted so using a carrier has been amazing! It is super beneficial for your your own wellbeing to get out of the house but its also great for baby to see new places and get some fresh air. It makes walking the dog so much easier and I love it for running errands as I'm completely hands free. And it means his little head is always at kissing distance!


We even took him for a walk with the family through sunflower fields which wouldn't have been possible with the pram. He slept all the way through the experience but he was very cosy against my chest. 


Everyday I read at least one book to Rory, he doesn't always pay attention or even seem like he's listening but I think its really important to get him interested in books and reading early. He has taken particular interests in these two, Thats Not My Lion has different textures inside which I rub his little fingers on and he loves that! Faces is also a great book as it is black and white which are the most interesting colours for babies, he mostly just likes the mirror on the front though!

I am already planning on getting him lots of books for Christmas and maybe even start working on a library corner for his nursery so he can really start to enjoy them and build up a good collection.


A change of scenery is always nice and that includes for babies. My lovely mum handmade this 
quilt for Rory so when the livingroom is becoming boring I take the quilt and lay it in different places around the house and just let Rory look around and play in a slightly different surrounding. He loves this! I also scatter a few different toys around him to interact with such as these rubber ducks.



Lastly, he really likes noise. The blue bear sings a lullaby and the other sings about numbers and foods. Not only are they great for learning, the also have bright colours that mesmerise him! He stares at them for such a long time and loves to knock them over! It can become boring pretty quite though having to keep sitting them back up again!



As Rory gets older I hope so incorporate loads more reading and when he's a bit older I can't wait to start doing arts and crafts with him! Both Liam and I are very creative so we can't wait to do these things with him!

What keeps your littles one entertained? I'd love some more ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment