Wednesday 13 May 2015

Make-Up Review: Makeup Revolution Mermaids VS Unicorns Palette

It's not often I see a palette and think, Yes I need that. I have nothing else like it and I must have it. The moment I saw this palette, I knew it would have to buy it. I had never tried any Revolution eyeshadows before but I had heard great things and with the price being a tiny £4, I went to my local superdrug store and purchase it.

On first look it may look a little daunting and unwearable, I mean, we aren't unicorns or mermaids as much as we would like to be. I do like to be daring with my eyeshadow so this never bothered me but I have found this palette much more wearable that I had ever imagined! Mainly, as eyeliner. We all want a little more colour in the summer time and these shadows make a perfect pop of colour instead of your usual black or brown shades. 

The ocean inspired shades and chunky glitter scream summer, this palette provides endless possibilities. 




The front of this palette has the same design as most of the other Revolution shadow palettes, simple black plastic with a clear plastic window showing the colours. I like it, it is classic and slimline, really easy to store and looks great on your dressing table. I love how all Revolution palettes are the same size and perfectly stackable, I can't stand bulky palettes that are impossible to store. The eyeshadow pans are long thin rectangles, this layout provides 12 great sized pans which I very much doubt you would be able to use the whole of a colour up. I think the size of the shadows is a great asset to the palette as there is nothing worse than tiny pans that don't last, I know that personally I always have a favourite shadow that I end up using all of and getting really annoyed about it. This won't happen here.





The palette starts from the left side with the "Mermaid" shades and transitions through to the "Unicorn" shades on the right. 

On first glance, the "Mermaid" colours all look very similar and the "Unicorn" colours seem to provide a variety of hues and shades.




None of the colours have names so I am going to work from the left of the palette to the right.

First, we have a light shimmery almost lime green. With a primer and a few layers you can get good colour pay off but if used alone it is rather pale. It isn't great on my skin tones, makes me look sort of ill but it might be more wearable on different skin tones. Probably my least favourite of the palette.

Second, this is a lot alike the first colour but with less lime qualities and more on the leafy side. It's a much more wearable colour, good for blending out with shade three.

Third, this shade shows the palettes transition from green to blue, this is a beautiful aqua shade. This would look lovely as a light smoked out eye with a bikini at the beach. 

Fourth, this is a frosted blue colour. Very Elsa from Frozen. It is a lovely colour which would be great for a Frozen themed look but it isn't a unique colour. It is the sort of colour you would find in any bargain all shade palette. 

These four shades are my least favourite of all the shades. They are all very similar and they don't suit my skin tone. I also think that they require a good few layers to get full colour pay off and definitely need a primer. They aren't bad shadows by all means but just not the palettes highlights.




Fifth, it is at this point where I am starting to get bored of all the green/blue colours. This shade is simple a darker hue of shadow four. Not bad but I am sick of the sight of blue.

Sixth, again, blue. A slightly darker more primary colour blue. Its a nice shade but not very wearable, might work as eyeliner but I don't think I will get much use out of this one.

Seventh, finally a different colour! This is a gorgeous plum purple. This colour makes a great evening smokey eye or a dramatic plum liner. I will get so much wear out of this, I do however have an Urban Decay eyeshadow in a similar colour which I would probably lean towards instead if looking for a plum shade. Fantastic colour pay off though!

Eight, a shimmery barbie pink. This is a deep, girly yet sophisticated colour. I have already used this to create a full pink smokey eye and I really liked it. The shadow didn't quite stay put all day but it wore off in a nice way, it didn't crease, it simply faded so it was still perfectly wearable. 

These four colours finally showed a little variety, good pay off and acceptable staying power but the best is yet to come!




Ninth, this is a shimmy slightly neon looking pinky/purple. It doesn't really suit me but it is an impressive colour. I think it would look better or someone a little younger than me, it is a very teenage colour. 

Tenth, now the colours get awesome! This colour is a dark denim sort of blue, it is finally a good blue. It's a nice eyeliner colour, adds a pop of colour while still keeping it sophisticated. I definitely think I will get a lot of wear out of this one and it is a highlight to this palette.

Eleventh, this is by far my favourite colour in this palette. It is a shimmery purple/blue/black, with loads of hue dimension. This colour is a brilliant liner colour, it goes on so smooth and pigmented. I love it.

Twelfth and final colour, this is a true black colour with chunky glitter. I usually ignore the blacks in palettes because they are all the same and I feel like a girl only needs the one but this colour is totally transformed by the chunky glitter. It is an entirely new spin on the colour and it really works. Again, a lovely eyeliner shade with a little spin on the usual basic black.




The back of this palette displays the usual information and ingredients. Much like the blush palette is reviewed recently, it needs shadow names! These colours could have the most amazing names! Other than that issue, this is a simple back to the palette, effective but simple.



Overall, this is a fantastic palette with unique colours and really good colour pay off for an amazingly low price. I like Revolutions palettes but I feel like most of them contain all the same colours but this palette is wonderfully unique so it is definitely worth a buy! I will say however, that you will need alternative shadows to use as transition shades and blending with these shadows because this palette doesn't bare this factor in mind.



Purchase Here

No comments:

Post a Comment