Thursday 7 May 2015

Make-Up Review: Makeup Revolution Ultra Blush Palette in Hot Spice

I'll admit that I have always found blusher a little boring, cheeks are cheeks and they should be cheek coloured I suppose. I've always just had one blusher, a pink, used it until it was gone and then just bought another one. This is the first blusher palette I have ever bought, due to this fact I decided to start cheap with the budget brand, Revolution. 

I have been both impressed and disappointed with Revolution in the past, usually the brand provides great colour pay off but not great staying power. The palette includes 6 blusher colours and 2 shimmery highlighter colours. I got the "Hot Spice" palette which is a more spicy brown toned pink/orange shaded selection, this is not what I thought I would choose from what I had seen online so I would recommend you buy from a Superdrug store so that you can actually see the colours before you buy it. 




The front of the palette is a simple black with rose gold metallic detailing, I like this. The colour and style is very classy and expensive looking but sadly this is let down by the shiny plastic which looks great until you touch it. There is nothing classy about fingerprints which this palette seems to collect. I think it would have been better if the plastic was matte.  The issue with matte packaging however is that it gathers left over product and is hard to clean but I think personally I would prefer that over millions of fingerprints. Still, the packaging isn't bad considering the tiny £6 price tag.




This is the inside of the palette and the blusher selection, I like the big mirror (not that I would use it) it is a good quality mirror but personally I don't like mirrors in palettes because they just end up dirty with left over powder. I do however know that a lot of people appreciate a mirror so I guess this is a plus. The palette is very sturdy and well made which is great, it doesn't feel breakable at all and I think that it would be really easy to clean the plastic and the mirror. 

The palette closes really firm and strong but is not difficult to open, you could carry this around in your bag and have no worries that it will open. Overall, the inside looks good, substantial and the colours all look usable and have a lot of variety.




The blushers are not named unfortunately, this bothers me from a bloggers point of view because it is hard to discuss/recommend individual colours. They all seem to have the same kind of consistency, they are powdery but not chalky and there is a smooth creamy feel which is always good for a blusher. Very blendable and pigmented but unfortunately all the blushers don't have fantastic staying power. If you want your blush to last all day then I think this isn't for you. You might prefer a high end option but if you are fine with having to reapply through the day then this is a nice palette.

This is the top line swatched from left to right. 

The first blush is a brown toned orange-pink, it is quite dark but if applied gently it looks nice. Might be better for darker skin toned.

Second, is a slightly lighter version of the first colour. It is slightly more dusky but it is probably one of my favourites. Great for olive skin tones. 

Third, is a dusky/hot pink. It is very wearable for many skin tones but requires a light hand to avoid clown face. 

Fourth, is a highlight. It is a basic pink champagne shade with very fine shimmer. Its nice but honestly, not very pigmented but personally I don't really wear highlight so its not for me. If you like highlight and are looking for a very subtle shimmer, this might be for you.

The top line is the most wearable for me, they will definitely be my most used colours.




This is the second line swatched from left to right.

The first shade is a bright orange. It is literally a spicy bright orange with small glitters. I hate this, it looks appealing in the pan but on the skin it is hideous. It made me look like i had some horrible skin condition. NEVER AGAIN.

Second, is a dark dusky pink. It is rather similar to the second colour in the top line. Its nice but for me a little too dark, might be better for me when I have a bit of a tan in the summer. I can imagine that on darker skin it would be pretty nice.

Third, this is the the lightest colour in the palette. It is a light dusky baby pink. It is very wearable for me, I think that most people could wear this and I'm sure I will get a lot of use out of it. 

Fourth, I don't quite understand this blush. Is it a blush? Is it a highlighter? It is a light pink shade but it has the shimmer of a highlighter. I cant imagine it used as a blusher as it would be too shimmery but as a highlighter it would be way to pink. Im not sure how to use this one but it is beautiful so I will try and find a use for it!




The back of the palette is the same black plastic as the rest of the palette with a sticker saying the name of the palette and some other information. The back has the same fingerprint problem as the rest of the palette and the sticker really should have had the blusher names on it! Such a small detail that really would have made a difference in my opinion. 



Overall, the palette has its pros and cons but considering it was only £6 and it was also apart of a 3 for 2 deal, it was a bargain and it was definitely worth it. It is a good palette but if you are looking for something that will last all day then this might not be for you, maybe try a brand such as benefit instead. 

This palette is good enough however, that I will definitely be purchasing a few more things from the brand.

If you have tried anything from Revolution that you love, let me know so I can try it myself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment