Monday 30 July 2018

Soph X Revolution Extra Spice Palette

I never buy Revolution palettes not because they are bad but because they just don't live up to my high end palettes so whats the point? 

But youtuber, SophDoesNails is a firm favourite of mine to watch so when she released a palette with Revolution a year ago, I bought it and ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!

Now, she has just released her Extra Spice palette and has yet again exceeded my expectations!

The outer packaging is the exact same as her previous palette but the colours are inverted. So the first palette was a matte pink/nude with metallic writing and this one is metallic with matte pink/nude writing. They do look great when viewed together and I appreciate the idea but this new shiny packaging is constantly covered in finger prints, scratches and bloody dog hair! 

Spoiler Alert: This is the only complaint I can make on this whole palette!

Inside the palette you will find a huge mirror which although, I don't care about, I know a lot of people see this as a huge plus! And 18 pans of eyeshadow, 12 mattes and 6 shimmers. The pans are a good size, I can't see myself hitting pan on any of them any time soon and I think the ratio of mattes to shimmers is really good. It is definitely a plus to have more mattes than shimmers because you can use the mattes to layer in the crease and create more dimension to a look or they can also be worn alone where as you can't really put a shimmer in the crease or wear them alone.


Left is Sophs first palette, she describes the palettes as sister, Extra Spice being the older sister of her originally palette. A sassier, brighter version. On first glance the palettes look quite similar but on closer inspection, I wouldn't say that any of the shades are too similar and all have there own unique properties. Both palettes work really well together though as they are similar in tone so I would say you can't go wrong buying both and using them together! Her first palette has some lovely transition shades that I like to use alongside some of the other shades in Extra Spice. 

Another obvious different is the amount of shadows, her first palette has 24 which is a huge 6 shades extra! This did bother me at first but I think you just have to look at it as quality of quantity. The 18 Extra Spice shades all work perfectly in a palette together so shoving in 6 more seems silly in hindsight. 

Extra Spice also has the shade names on the palette which the first palette did not. Maybe they put less shades in order to be able to fit the names? If so, I'm ok with that.


Lets talk through the shades themselves and swatches! Starting from the very top row, left to right.

Everyday

I really love Everyday. I would say it is one of my most used shades so far, it is a lovely metallic dusky pink. I feel like it works so well as an everyday shade (hence its name!) with just a little bit of Cookie Dough through the crease.

Running Late

I haven't used this one much as I feel it is quite similar to Sweet N Sour which I have used much more. I do however think it swatches so well and will work well to add dimension along with all the other orange shades.

Infinity

Infinity reminds me of Everyday, I feel like they have very similar properties and can be used in similar ways except this shade has a blue undertone apposed to the pink. Its a fave!

Cheesecake

A gorogous brown red, this works so nicely in the outer corner layered with some Cookie Dough. It is a deepening shade for sure, I feel like its main purpose is to deepen and work with the other shades but I also really love it as an all over lid shade!

Cookie Dough

This shade looks boring in the pan, it is just a basic light brown transition shade. But actually, it is probably my favourite shade and my most used! It works perfectly as a crease shade, it seems to pair perfectly with each and every other shade in this palette! It is super buildable which makes it really easy to use and looks awesome with a tan!

Dreams

Dreams to me, is literally a metallic version of Cookie Dough. It isn't a very unique shade but it is a staple. I can imagine myself coming back to this one a lot so I'm glad it is included!


Vitamin C

This was the shade I was most excited for when I saw this palette was being released. I don't own any other true yellow shadows and just felt like it would be so fun to experiment with, I was right! It is 100% a standout in this palette. I can be hard to get yellow right but this one is the perfect summer shade with just enough pigmentation to get a good pay off but still be able to build it up and make it wearable. It works amazingly well with all the oranges in this palette!

Sweet N Sour

Another stand out shade, Sweet N Sour and Vitamin C and like sisters. They bounce off each other incredibly well, I feel like you almost can't use one without the other. Look how pigmented it is! It's beautiful!

Twenty One

Soph herself has consistantly described this shade as a red which I just don't understand at all. It is clearly a hot pink. This is a stand out shade as well but it doesn't really work for me, I feel like its a little too young for me but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for loads of other people.

Romance 

A metallic sort of pink, red, purple. Quite a complex shade but it is lovely! I haven't used it much yet but I definitely will soon. Swatches so well, very pigmented. 

Enchanted

I like this a lot, it's a matte deep pinky purple. It is quite dark so I can't use it loads, its not an everyday shade for me but if you have dark skin it might work well as a transition shade. I love that this palette is so universal.

Lakes

Lakes is a very boring but very necessary shade. Its not interesting to look at but it is very important to have a dark brown in a palette like this is creating dimension and shade. It swatches incredibly well, very matte, very pigmented and very smooth. 


Brownies

Brownies is a slightly lighter variation of Lakes, again, necessary but boring. I find myself using this more than Lakes as I am quite pale and it is lighter so it is really great to have these two options to appeal to different skin tones.

Chocolate Orange

In the pan this one looks like anther brown just with a slight orange tint but actually when swatched, it is very orange toned. I love this shade as an all over lid colour, blended out with some Cookie Dough in the crease. Simple and summery.

Mulled Wine

For me, this is Twenty One's slightly more purple friend. I like this shade more than Twenty One however. I lot more grown up and easier to incorporate, it blends into other shades seamlessly. 

LA Sun

I love this! I haven't had a chance to use it much yet because it is so out there but it's gorgeous! I true yellow gold. Very bright and metallic, super pigmented! 

Aurora

I haven't used this shade yet but it does swatch well and is beautiful. I think this is a winter shade for me, I will definitely give this a go around Christmas time.

Reputation

I personally hate black shadows, I don't use them at all and every palette seems to have one. For me this is a pointless shade but I know that the majority of people don't feel the same as me so it is good for this shade to be there for those people!



And that's Extra Spice, my new baby, the love of my life. It is a truly fantastic palette, I would recommend it to anyone. If you don't already have it, what are you doing with you life? It's only £10 as well so you have no excuse!


No comments:

Post a Comment