Saturday 27 August 2016

Music Review: Mollie King - Back To You 9/10

                                   
                                            


Mollie King has been a fifth of the girl group The Saturdays since 2007. They have always been my guilty pleasure, I've loved every single, every album, loved seeing the girls in magazines and following them on Instagram. They are just captivating. So talented, so beautiful and musically so addicting. 

There strength has always been as a group so I was concerned that them going on a hiatus in order to persue singular efforts would be a flop. Vanessa released an EP not long ago and it didn't really make a dent in the music world and I didn't love it. The second Saturday to release anything is the lovely Mollie in the form of, Back To You. 

Back To You is a breathy. sexy, love song about not being able to leave an ex alone. Just wanting to be with them and no one else despite them not being good for you. 

On first few listens, the song felt repetitive and simple. I liked it but I didn't think it would make it onto my playlist but I kept listening wanting to like it and it worked because now I really do. Mollie has played it safe by sticking to the same fluffy pop sound that The Sats have been so successful with but she has given it her own spin, slowed it down, provided some emotion. 

Her voice sounds beautiful but I do feel the song would have benefitted from Mollie kicking the vocals up a notch in the final verse. It would have really added to the emotion of the song and the lyrics. This is the only reason I have given the song a 9/10 instead of a 10.

I love the single cover art, simple, sexy and the colour hue is very unique and gorgeous. She should have gone for a lipgloss instead of the matte lips she is wearing though because her lips just look dry and this song calls for a moist lip in my opinion! That sounds gross but you know what I mean!

I'm assuming this single will lead to an album and I am very excited to hear it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment