Friday 7 August 2015

Music Appreciation: Melanie Martinez

I have done music reviews on this blog before but this post will be a little different. It doesn't require a review as such because I couldn't possibly rate it anything other than a 10. 

Melanie Martinez was a contestant on the American version of The Voice, she didn't win but she did extremely well in the competition. I am obviously not american so I never watched the series, I found Melanies music by chance and a while after it was released.




I came across the song "Dollhouse" on youtube and I must have watched the video on repeat a million times. The song is insanely addictive, haunting and the lyrics beautifully complex. The music video for the song is completely different from anything I've ever seen, it depicts Melanie as a doll living in a dolls house but this is a child like cover for a damaged family life in which the lyrics tell the story of. 




Dollhouse lead me to falling in love with the rest of the EP, aptly names Dollhouse EP. It is an incredible collection of songs, I couldn't even highlight a favourite track because every song is just so insanely good. It is a must listen. 




Melanie has a new album coming out later this month and has been slowly releasing singles and promotional singles. I genuinely spend my life these days refreshing internet pages to see if she has a new song out yet, I am addicted to the album and I haven't even heard it yet. So far she has released...


1. Pity Party
2. Soap
3. Sippy Cup


Every song that is released is better than the one before, Im not sure how the next song could possibly be more incredible but I am already certain it will be. The name of the album is...




OMG! Even the cover art fills me with excitement. Just look at how unique and amazingly pretty it is! As you can probably tell, Melanie's theme of sorts is children and childlike imagery used to explore very adult themes such as murder and adultery. The way she uses the opposing themes to tell a story makes her music so unique, the way she fully absorbs herself in her character. Melanie has revealed through her twitter account that the album will tell a story beginning to end and this fact excites me to no end! 




I couldn't end this post without discussing Sippy Cup, this song is the most amazing thing I have heard in a while. The song is thought to be a follow on from the story told in Dollhouse, Dollhouse sings about a family who are hiding problems behind closed doors. Sippy Cup continues this story by telling what actually happened behind those doors. It is a slow paced, tension building, dark and twisted tale and I am in love.


Melanie Martinez is my new addiction and I guarantee she will also be yours.



Follow this link to Melanie's youtube channel and let the binge listening commence.

No comments:

Post a Comment