Sunday 30 August 2015

Movie Review: Paper Towns 8/10


Paper Towns is another in the string of John Green book adaptations which will inevitably grow longer. And with good reason. We have already been blessed with the amazing "The Fault In Our Stars" and now we have "Paper Towns" to fall in love with.

I'll start by saying please read the book first because it really does make a different to your enjoyment of the film. I read the book a while ago and I was quite let down by it, I invested hours and hours into the books pages and I was hopelessly in love with the story and the characters. But the ending really let me down, it felt dragged out and the books message felt lost within the rambling conclusion. I came away feeling sort of cheated out of my ending! 

This film fixes that for me. The ending was ever so slightly changed in a way that completely gave me the ending I wanted from the book. For this reason, I loved this film more than someone who hasn't read the book if that makes any sense? I just feel like if you didn't have that let down in the back of your mind, you wouldn't have felt so happy with the ending. Not because it was bad but because you wouldn't appreciate it as much. 

Lets talk a little about the actors and the characters. I love Nat Wolff (top right), I think he is a great actor and he plays the prefect under dog type character, he is truly great in this role. Cara Delevingne (top left) had me feeling pretty apprehensive because she hasn't acted much before. I tried my best not to judge her to harshly and I think she did a good job but she didn't blow me away. I do think the two main characters were well chosen and acted but I was especially impressed with the supporting characters. I think they were all amazingly cast and all the characters were so well developed, I really think all the casting was superb which was a relief to me because I feel like book adaptations always miss the mark here. 

Ultimately, Paper Towns is a beautiful tale of growing up, falling in love and growing into your own person. It has been adapted from book to movie really well and the subtle changed actually improved it, I hate when books are changed for the movie but in this case it was the best decision.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film and I left the cinema feeling really warm and fuzzy. I would definitely recommend it!

I am now going to read the whole of John Greens back catalogue in preparation for the inevitable future adaptions coming our way.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment