Friday 21 September 2018

Baby Buys I SHOULD or SHOULDN'T Have Bought


One          Two        Three         Four          Five          Six


9 months is a long time to prepare and buy everything your baby needs in anticipation of their arrival but sometimes you just don't know what you will or won't need until little one is here! We bought everything we thought we needed and still found that we needed more, we also found that many things we thought were essentials weren't essentials at all and have gone unused! 

Obviously every baby and every family/situation is different so it may be that you use all these things but these are the items that I wish I hadn't bought...


SHOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT

Mittens - I bought loads of mittens, I was thinking babies scratch themselves and they are sold everywhere so they must be necessary right? Well, not only were Rorys hands way to big to fit in them anyway from day one (he has massive hands) but I didn't ever feel the need to use them anyway! I just keep his nails cut short and if I did feel mittens were necessary I would just put him in a sleep suit that had the built in ones which most of them do!

Booties - Same really! His massive flippers never fit in them and whats the point of them anyway? A lot of baby clothes have feet and if they don't, I just used socks!

Fleece Blankets - Considering Rory was due on the 1st August and we were having an insane heatwave, I have no idea why I thought these would be necessary. We haven't used them yet but I suppose we might in the colder months so they aren't a complete waste but what I would say is that you need to consider the time of year when your buying blankets. We have gotten much more use out of the breathable cellular ones!

Too Much Clothes - Buying baby clothes is so exciting and I loved it! We bought so much stuff and we also got gifted so much stuff but so much of it never got worn before he grew out of it and now I am frantically trying to get him to wear all his 0-3months stuff before he out grows them too! And as much as dungarees and jeans are cute, he lives in sleep suits and the odd pair of leggings anyway! 



SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT/GOT MORE OF

Books and Toys - We bought a few things but we were of the mindset that we wouldn't use them for ages but I have found that that just isn't true. I have been reading to him from very early on and he loves to look at brightly coloured toys even though he's not quite able to play with them. We especially love the "Thats Not My" books and I have bought him "DANCE" for Christmas!

Sleep suits - We bought a few but just didn't really prioritise them, I wanted to dress him in adorable outfits everyday but really sleep suits are the most comfortable and practical for a little baby. We also didn't have any in newborn or 0-1month sizes because we were convinced he would be big so we actually had nothing that fit him in his first few weeks! I would really recommend buying a few things in all sizes just to cover all bases, you can always return them if you never use them! We love the Mothercare 3 packs as they are amazing quality, come in loads of sizes and are available in loads of adorable patterns.

Long Sleeve Body Suits - I bought a few of these but I mostly bought short sleeve as he was due in the summer but I found quite quickly that even thought it was hot, he's a baby and he needs to be warm! They are also perfect for wearing under sleeping bags at night to keep those chubby little arms warm!

Sleeping Bag - We had one of these in 1tog but in the past 7 weeks we have ended up having to buy two more in different togs! Babies need different togs to covered different temperatures, the weather is so unpredictable at the moment so you need variety! They also last until 6 months so they are a good investment that will last a long time.

Moveable Car Seat - We originally did so much research into car seats and what would fit our car the best, be the safest and last the longest. We opted for a seat that can't be carried and lasts up to age 4, we didn't want to waste money on a car seat that could be carried because they only last up to age 1. And being that our boy was predicted to be quite the chunk (he is!) we didn't think it would even last till then. But last minute we decided to get a moveable car seat in order to make leaving the hospital easier and we have been using that one since! It has proven to be so much more practical and easier to get him comfy in the seat before walking to the car rather than having to faff around once you get there. 


THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN AMAZING!!!!


One               Two


These two things have been the most incredible products, I would honestly say they have made motherhood so much easier for me and I would be lost without them!

Firstly, Baby Bjorn Baby Carrier. I had never intended to use a carrier as I was so in love with my pram and wanted to use the hell out of it but Rory got upset not being close to me, its a pain to put up when your alone and you can't walk on uneven surfaces which doesn't sound like a big deal but for me, it is! I love walking the dog over the grass, going to parks and being handsfree when I shop so this carrier has been a lifesaver. I feel like me again when I'm wearing it, I can do everything I usual do while still being a mummy. 

Sock ons are little contraptions you put on over your babies socks to keep them securely on their feet and they are revolutionary! I haven't lost one sock and they are also great to wear with sleep suits that are a little too long because they hold babies feet in the right place which was so helpful when Rory was really small and always pulled his feet out of the legs of sleep suits. 


If you take anything from this post, it is to buy these two items urgently as they will change your life!

Is there anything I haven't mentioned that you've loved for your little one! Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment