Tuesday 29 January 2019

Lack Of Sleep Is A Killer


Looks so peaceful doesn't he? He has his moments when he goes straight down and sleeps like an angel but there are also nights when he flat out refuses and we end up rocking a crying baby multiple times through the night. 

I can't complain really, Rory has always been a good sleeper (except a few nights we will not mention!), he goes down relatively easy and when he does wake during the night he tends to go back down pretty easy but his downfall is that at 4 months old he is still waking between 3 and 6 times a night. 

He usually sleeps from 9pm till 7am including these multiple wakes but overall, I do get about 7-8hours of sleep which as a mum I really can't complain about but I have always been someone who values sleep and needs it. I've been having a regular nap everyday basically for my whole life, I am lucky enough to have been able to with my job and I loved it. I knew when baby came, sleep is what I would struggle with the most.

These are the ways I try and deal with it...


1. Get a lay in at the weekend. Usually on a Saturday I will get up at 7am change Rorys bum, give him a feed then wake Liam up and kick them both out of the bedroom so I can have a few hours nap. I live for it.

2. Nap when baby naps. This is a hard one for me because Rory has always preferred to nap on me so I can't sleep while holding him which is torture when you are so tired! But on the rare occasion he does nap in his cot, whether I am tired or not, I sleep.

3. On Sundays, me and Rory take a long nap together, when he falls asleep on me I make no effort to move him, instead we snuggle up and sleep all afternoon while Liam plays xbox next to us and keeps an eye out. Sleepy Sundays reinstated! 

4. Go out of the house. It makes such a difference to how tired you feel if you are out and about rather than cooped up in a dark house. Go for a walk, look around the shops or take baby swimming!

5. Remember that dads need sleep too! Liam gets up even earlier than I do on weekdays so on Sunday he gets his lay in. When Rory wakes up we sneak out of the room and leave Liam to sleep the morning away! 


The main this to remember though when you are up with the baby all through the night is that this is temporary! You will get your sleep back one day, sooner or later and these nights with your little one are precious. So value them! 



No comments:

Post a Comment