Saturday 24 October 2015

Music Review: Demi Lovato - Confident 7/10


There must be something in the water with ex Disney star album releases. Selena Gomez last week, Hilary Duff not long ago, the Jonas boys are popping up all over the place and now Demi Lovato with her fifth studio album. 

I wasn't all that excited for this one really, I loved her first two albums then the next two were a little hit and miss for me. I did like them but they didn't exactly knock my socks off and I didn't find myself listening to them much. She has been working towards a more adult album for years and each time has still felt not quite mature enough but this album I feel like has skipped the adult/mature themes and gone straight for the sex appeal. Good or bad? Let's see...


1. Confident

This track is the second single from the album and the albums name. It has a lot to live up to. Unfortunately, is it pretty throw away for me, it isn't a bad song at all and it has a great message but I just find it boring. I don't not like it but I just find my self skipping it. It also feels quite dated which I think happened a lot through out this album. 

What's wrong with being confident?


2. Cool For The Summer

First single off the album and it is a great one but saying that, it doesn't proceed the album well. It doesn't seem to fit well despite it being a good song. It is very Katy Perry like, it is an upbeat, sexy and open minded track which I love! It great to hear an artist singing about being sexy and free but also being open minded towards what sexy is. Demi is doing a great job of redefining what sexy is which her gorgeous curves and empowering songs, I love the song but I feel out of place alongside the rest of the album. 

Tell me what you want
What you like
It's okay
I'm a little curious, too
Tell me if it's wrong
If it's right
I don't care
I can keep a secret, can you?


3. Old Ways

This song is a real gem, it is a really personal song for Demi as it is telling the world and all the haters that she is not going to go back on all the personal progress she has made. We all know Demi has issues with drugs and other things, she did amazingly overcoming all her problems and this song is a beautiful shout that she will not fail. It has a super dated late 2000's vibe that actually works really well here, my favourite part is the bridge...

And the best part about it
Is I'm the only who can do somethin' about it
I fill the well with some water, it's overflowin'
Black into gold
Who knew it'd be so bright without the blindfolds


4. For You

This song is a little bit throw away also. For from being a bad song but it just doesn't have that pull that keeps you listening. It does however, show off Demi's beautiful strong voice so well, I like the song but it just isn't the best this album has to offer.

Reasons for my hope, all make me a big joke




5. Stone Cold

Stone Cold has been raved about by reviews and I totally get why. In classic Demi style, this is a belted out ballad and she sounds incredible. I am not the hugest fan of ballads which is probably part of the reason why Demi's previous albums have been so hit and miss for me, for other people though this could be a huge favourite. 

You're dancing with her, while I'm staring at my phone


6. Kingdom Come

This song features Iggy Azalea which is something I was really excited about as I am a big fan. I love this song, it perfectly blends Iggy's sounds with Demi's and it creates something truly addictive. I definately played this a repeat for some time and I still love it which is a good sign! The chorus does sound like it could have been cut from Iggy's Black Widow though, so it would have been nice to hear something a little more different.

A love so deep, nothing else like it
Scars go deep, but they can't find it


7. Waitin' For You

Featuring "Sirah" who I've never heard of, Waiting' For You is a strong song with the theme of bullying. But I think it sounds too aggressive in the lyrics, I would have rather a deeper message to be present because this just doesn't feel right to me. I like the song but it isn't a favourite at all. 

Knuckles out
And the guard in my mouth
When you're hungry for the next round (I'll be waitin' for you)


8. Wildfire

This is by far my favourite song on the album and get a huge 10 from me. It is sexy, slow building and shows off Demi's voice perfectly. I love the depth in the lyrics and the intensity of the music, if you only listen to one song from this album make it this one. 

I look into your sunset eyes
Waiting for the moon to rise
So I can feel your heat
This love is so completely crazy


9. Lionheart

Another ballad, sort of. It's a little more upbeat that your usual ballad but I still feel like it is a ballad. I like this one, it definitely isn't a stand out but it is a solid song. It feels really Demi which is nice, I feel like we are glimpsing a little more of Demi herself on this track. 

Our story binds us
Like right and wrong
Your hand in mine
Marching to the beat of the storm


10. Yes

The way Demi sings the word Yes on this track is lovely, its so well controlled and beautiful. The whole song is well built and well sung but I must admit that I prefer the verses and the build to the chorus more than I like the actual chorus. 

Here's my tears when you tell me those words
Here's my life, for better or worse


11. Father

I don't like this at all. The lyrics are great and it is interesting to hear Demi's feelings about her father but the song itself is just boring and it sounds creepy and churchy. It's pretty horrible. Best of skipping this track. 

Father, I'm gonna say thank you
Even if I'm still hurt
Oh, I'm gonna say bless you
I wanna mean those words




12. Stars

First of two deluxe edition tracks, Stars is a very modern dance track. It feels like the old Demi again,  except the weird quacking noises that just shouldn't even be here, this is a good song. With a few changes this could be a gem of a song but unfortunately it slightly misses the mark when trying to be different. 

And we really don't need the light
Cause we're stars tonight


13. Mr. Hughes

This song has been compared to Amy Winehouse which is probably why I'm not a fan, I never liked Amy Winehouse at all. If you did then maybe you'll love this track but it's just not for me.

This is for the times you broke my heart
And all the years you led me on
Now you're asking for a brand new start
But you're way too late and now I'm gone



As you can tell, this is a super hit and miss album for me but there are a few showstopper that make this album worth the listen. I do however like it more than I expected I would which is great, I will continue to follow Demi's career but I think we have outgrown each other. 

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment