Tuesday 17 March 2015

Movie Review: CHAPPIE 2/10

     

My boyfriend and I have unlimited cards for our local cinema meaning we pretty much see every film that comes out, unless it looks absolutely terrible. I thought Chappie was one of those films but my boyfriends insisted that because it was directed my Neil Blomkamp the director of District 9 and Elysium, that it would be a good film. We now both agree that he was incorrect. 

Now, I have actually never seen any of Neil Blomkamps films so I based my hypothesis on that fact two of the main cast are the members of rap group Die Antwoord. I actually don't mind the band! I've know of them for a while and find their colourful music videos such as for 'Evil Boy' which for the most part is a series penises for the whole video, really awesome. This may be an interesting music video but I didn't see how this could qualify them to be actors. But then again, with other cast such as Hugh Jackman and Dev Patel of obvious fame, I thought maybe it would have some redeeming qualities. Again, I was wrong.

The basis of the film is that a group of drug dealers who steal a robot which has been programmed to feel human emotions and grow like a human child. The dealers want to teach the robot to kill their enemy and help them with criminal activity but they grow to care for the robot. The opposing dealers as well as Hugh Jackmans character attack the robot and have a ridiculous show down where the majority of the characters are killed. The robot finds a way to capture consciousness and makes robots out of his dead friends. I won't go into the details to much because it really is just too terrible to type too much about.

The characters are hollow and over exaggerated. The whole film is basically a crazy celebratation of a band no one cares about. The robot wears bling for christs sake. The acting is so awful and for the most part you can't even understand what they are saying. Its so baffling because although critics reviews haven't been great, viewer reviews are really good! It's not times like this i just loose faith in humanity. 

I walked out of the cinema feeling completely shocked and confused that the film had even been allowed on the big screen. Don't waste your time like I did. 




No comments:

Post a Comment